Prairie and Northern Region Candidates

CAR News and Notifications.

Moderators: Translation, Executive

Shane Weatherill

Prairie and Northern Region Candidates

Post by Shane Weatherill »

Curtis Peyson

I started my involvement in Rocketry about 3 years ago, I was watching a movie called October Sky, I always wanted to build rockets when I was a kid, but my Dad was not a hands on guy so I never did. I saw this as an opportunity to build rockets with my children, and I fell in love with the sport.

So here is my history, while in high school I enjoyed building and racing cars, so I went to work in a Speed Shop, started as a parts guys than ended up building race cars. I eventually ran 3 different Speed Shops. I raced Division 6 NHRA, running a A/Dragster best time in 1/4 mile was 7.13 seconds @ 199 MPH

The speed shop business was not stable, so I started looking for another career. I joined the Police Force in 1981 as a Constable for the Prince Albert City Police, Prince Albert Saskatchewan, I was there for 3 1/2 years until Regina Police Dept., Regina, Saskatchewan recruited me and worked there for another 8 1/2 years. Advancement at this time was very limited, so I started looking around at other opportunities.

At this time I started a part time job as a Financial adviser, and enjoyed in so much that I ended up leaving the Police Force nine months later to do it full time and was later promoted to Regional Vice President in Sept 1993, moved to Winnipeg, Manitoba open up my first office their, and since that I have opened up a office in Saskatoon and another office in Winnipeg.
I am not running against Brad because he has not done the job, in fact I think he has done an excellent job, personally I am voting for him and hope you all do. I am running so that C.A.R. knows that I will help in any capacity that they want me in. I want to see this sport grow and I am willing to help.

Brad Wall

My name is Brad Wall, and I live in Saskatoon, SK. I am, as many of the rest of you, a born again rocketeer. I started flying rockets with my Dad when I was about 8 years old. We built and flew a fair number of models until my interests changed during my mid teens. Fast forward to 2000, I now am married and we have 2 boys ages 8 and 6. My parents were about to move, and were cleaning out their storage area’s. In an old briefcase was our rocket stuff, Dad called and asked if I would like it have it. I said sure, the kids may like watching a launch or two. I got the stuff, made a couple quick repairs, and rushed out to the local park with the kids. We launched the first rocket, picture perfect flight. I was hooked again, and so were the boys. Couple of years later, I was checking the web for any local rocket clubs. I did not find any, but I did come across the CAR website. High Power? What is that all about? As is it happened, Roc Lake was just a couple of weekends away. I decided to take a day trip out to Alberta to see what HPR really was. I was only there for about an hour before I decided this is what I wanted to do. I joined CAR and certified level 1 and 2 at Roc Lake in 2003, and certified level 3 at Roc Lake in 2004. In 2008 I completed my training and was certified as a Range Safety Officer.

In 2003 I wanted to get involved with a local rocketry club, mainly because of how much I enjoyed the HPR launches we had attended. I heard that a few people were looking at starting a local model rocket club in Saskatoon. That was the beginning of the Saskatoon Rocketry Society. I became club secretary in 2005 and am still holding that position. In the last 4 years I have spent a large amount of time promoting rocketry in Saskatoon and Saskatchewan. I work with various local groups doing workshops, launches, and rocketry promotion.

I have been privileged to serve on the CAR Board of Directors for the past 2 years, where I have been prominent in work completed and the work in progress. At the onset of the term I had 2 particulars goals, a CAR affiliated club in Saskatchewan and a Saskatchewan based HPR launch. The Saskatoon Rocketry Society is now an affiliated club and they have held their first 2 HPR events. The launches have not been on Saskatchewan soil but we will continue the quest for a launch site. I feel that CAR is moving in the right direction, but continued work is needed. There are a number of issues that need to be addressed and resolved. These include insurance, effective committee’s, and membership growth. If elected I promise to work hard to help make CAR the organization it needs to be, and to be a fair and reasonable representative of rocketeers both in my region and in the rest of Canada.