CAR Insurance and Model Rocket activity

Public place for CAR related discussions.

Moderator: Executive

Garth Illerbrun

CAR Insurance and Model Rocket activity

Post by Garth Illerbrun »

This is a general enquiry regarding the CAR Liability Insurance, and it's relation to model rocketry activity. It is my impression that the current policy was really set up with High-Power activity in mind, hence the need to have launch sites approved and the land owners named to the insurance policy. Ron Veale was gracious enough to do the work to have our Rosebud site added for the annual SAM model rocketry ccontest.

But what I need to know is, now that the Airdrie Space Science Club has been successful in having the city council change the bylaw to allow our club, and the CRA model access to a launch site, we are investigating the insurance coverage. The Airdrie club is mainly children or early teens and their parents, with a few Calgary seniors working as advisors. Junior CAR membership runs $15 per year which is reasonable, but really for that all they would get would be a membership card and insurance.

Junior membership in NAR is $25 U.S. , they get insurance, a membership card, a great magazine and discount coupons from various vendors. Plus the insurance is active in Canada. See my quandary!?

I would appreciate some comments. Also one last thing, does anyone know what our annual insurance premium is anyway? I have never seen it posted nor any annual income/expense information. That should be disclosed to all members with any interest.

Thanks

Garth Illerbrun
CAR S04 L3
NAR 26894 L2
Greg Dietlein

Post by Greg Dietlein »

Garth,

The problem is cost. Currently the CAR-ACF is revenue neutral. We can't give it away and take a loss. See our Quandary?

The ONLY way we can get there is build membership IMO. Unfortunately, we are not in a position to lose money on route.

It took forever to get a policy. We have grown a little and are looking at ways of increasing growth. I personally see no other way.

To get there we need support and participation. The few who are doing the work are working to the max.

If you could propose a model where we can help without loosing money in a manner that builds, we would all love to see it.

Ideas?

Greg Dietlein
Vice president.
Layne Pelechytik

Re: CAR Insurance and Model Rocket activity

Post by Layne Pelechytik »

I'm leading a group of 10-12 year olds in a model rocketry launch this summer. The size of the group will be in the 30-35 range. If the landowner asks for insurance, is is possible to get this through the CAR/ACF?
Regards,

Layne C. Pelechytik
Greg Dietlein

Re: CAR Insurance and Model Rocket activity

Post by Greg Dietlein »

Hi Layne,

Insurance is only available to CAR/ACF affiliated clubs.

Currently your group have not applied for this. If you wish to do so, please contact me.

Greg Dietlein.