Aerotech F21W’s and G55W’s

Public place for CAR related discussions.

Moderator: Executive

Layne Pelechytik

Aerotech F21W’s and G55W’s

Post by Layne Pelechytik »

I have some Aerotech F21W’s and G55W’s in my rocket motor inventory.

1. Can I fly these motors at a CAR-ACF sanctioned launch?
2. Can I use these motors for CAR-ACF altitude record attempts? Will they be recognized?
Regards,

Layne C. Pelechytik
David Buhler

Re: Aerotech F21W’s and G55W’s

Post by David Buhler »

Hi Layne

That is a good question. The F21's were tested by TRA but they have been expired and the G55's, well they are not on an approved list. I will have to consult more or at least send the experts over here to answer your question. But in my understanding since these motors are not certified or in the case of the F21's, have expired, you can not use them at a CAR/ACF launches and are not valid for record attempts.

I will get back to you
David
Layne Pelechytik

Hi David,

Thanks for looking into this for me.

I see the NAR had indeed certified the G55W at one time; check out the link at:
http://www.thrustcurve.org/motorsearch.jsp?id=91
It has been decertified since December 31, 2007.

Interestingly the current CAR-ACF G model rocket altitude record was done on an Aerotech G55W, but that was during the time the motor was certified by the NAR.
Regards,

Layne C. Pelechytik
David Buhler

Post by David Buhler »

Never thought to look there. I looked here:

http://www.nar.org/SandT/pdf/CombinedMo ... mpulse.pdf

which was updated July 29 this year. Seems to be the defacto list as TRA points to this list also.

David
Greg Dietlein

Post by Greg Dietlein »

Any TRA or NAR certified motors are acceptable at a CAR/ACF launch. As far as expired certifications, recertification is for newly produced motors. It has been generally acceptable to use motors which were from a certified production run. There is an exception which applies to ALL motors, Should there be any evidence of improper storage such as too wet, too cold or too hot, these motors can not be used. Any such determination needs to be assessed by the flier and is subject to a determination by the RSO.

This also raises the question of purchasing motors from other fliers or questionable storage in the past. Basically, If you are not sure, it is likely better to avoid such motors or things might not go your way.

Hope this helps.

Greg D.
Layne Pelechytik

Hi Greg,

Just to clarify, these motors can then be used at a CAR-ACF launch based on the qualifications you’ve stated above. Does this then permit them to be used for altitude record attempts? Will these motors be recognized officially for altitude record attempts even though they’re now uncertified?
Regards,

Layne C. Pelechytik
Layne Pelechytik

The reason I’m asking is because the NAR requires motors to be on the certified list if being used for record attempts.
Regards,

Layne C. Pelechytik
Greg Dietlein

Post by Greg Dietlein »

Generally speaking, the TRA and the NAR have programs based on US law and requirements. We happen to be in a different country. We certainly do look to them when we review things but in the end we operate under Canadian requirements.

With regards to motor usage, our requirements come from a combination of:

1) ERD requirements mainly focused on the National Explosives Act.

2) The CAR/ACF motor testing requirements.

3) TC requirements and expectations.

3) The CAR/ACF also needs to weigh risks to protect and preserve our insurance and the privilege to maintain a program.

4) Through the motor certification process, the performance of motor is confirmed thereby by ensuring that is conforme to the above AS WELL AS confirming that the impulse conforms to the reqirements laid out in the certification process. No valid or legal assurance exists with uncertified motors.

I hope this helps.

Greg D.